Olive oil is heavily used in the kitchen because of its incredible health benefits, however, the kitchen is not the only place this oil shines its greatness.
Olive oil has been long used as the secret ingredient to hair-care products due to its amazing moisturizing and nourishing abilities.
Unfortunately, there still exists no research that proves the positive effects olive oil has on your hair, but some studies have shown that it does possess a moisturizing effect.
Wearing a hair mask is a conditioning treatment that can last from 30 minutes up to 2 hours, it mostly depends on your hair type, the degree of conditioning your hair needs as well as the ingredients incorporated into the mask. In addition, we present to you the benefits an olive oil mask can bring and how to prepare and apply it.
Olive oil hair mask benefits
As we already mentioned there is little evidence due to a lack of research about how olive oil benefits your hair, but there exists research which proves that vegetable and mineral oils can protect and moisturize your hair.
Though olive oil was not specifically the given subject of this research, the review suggests that saturated and monounsaturated oils can provide better hair-care results than polyunsaturated oils. Meaning, using olive oil as an ingredient in your mask can bring you greater benefits than using sunflower oil.
We may have limited access to firm prove on how exactly olive oil benefits hair, but may experts recommend using this oil and a large variety of people have witness benefits like:
- Fewer split ends
- Less dandruff
- Greater moisture
- Increased hair growth
- Stronger hair
Can it be used for all hair types?
Olive oil is found to best soothe those with:
- Dry hair
- Coarse hair
- Thick hair
- Damaged hair
It is not as recommendable for:
- Oily hair
- Thin hair
- Fine hair
How to prepare an olive oil hair mask
First, to check if olive oil is an ingredient that soothes your hair type, try virgin olive oil.
To prepare this type of mask you will need to follow these simple steps:
- You will need about 2 tablespoons or ¼ cup olive oil to prepare a mask that completely covers your hair. In case you want to go with a split end treatment use only 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Those with thick long hair may need more than listed.
- Next, warm the oil. Be cautious and make sure you do not overheat it. To avoid such problems, it is best to leave it in the microwave for no more than 10 seconds. When it is properly heated, use a spoon to stir it, so you can get an even temperature throughout the whole mixture. Let it cool off before you apply it.
Tea tree and olive oil mask
According to a study conducted in 2002, tea tree oil can help relieve you from dandruff problems and decrease other kinds of scalp irritation.
- 2-4 drops of tea tree oil
- 2-4 tbsp of olive oil
To prepare this mask all you need to do is stir both the ingredients until they are well combined.
Egg, honey and olive oil mask
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 1 egg
- Start by first cracking the egg into a bowl and then whisk it well.
- Next, add in the honey and olive oil and if you want to achieve a smoother consistency you can heat them a bit.
- Whisk all the ingredients until they are well combined.
Another easier option is to put the ingredients into a blender and process until well combined.
Olive oil and avocado hair mask
Avocado is also a great ingredient for a hair mask as its minerals are found to be helpful in preventing hair breakage.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ pitted and pilled, ripped avocado
- First, chop the avocado and put it into the blender, then add in the olive oil.
- Blend until it is well combined.
How to apply and olive oil hair mask
Use either styling gloves or an applicator bottle to avoid making a mess.
- To protect your clothes from the oil, you can choose to put a towel over your shoulders or maybe wear an old t-shirt.
- If you choose to use an applicator bottle the first thing you should do is pour the mask into it.
- Start applying the oil on the dry sections of your hair and then go on to massaging it into your scalp from the roots to the ends of your hair.
- Once finished cover your hair with a shower cap and leave on the mask for 15 minutes.
- Take off the shower cap and comb your hair, then rinse it thoroughly.